Projects that have been funded
Below is a selection of funded schemes and projects:
- Signage and wayfinding – schemes which will better connect the station with the town centres and the areas they serve
- Subway improvements – better lighting, cleaner interiors, improved paths and steps leading into the subways
- Tree planting – planting of trees to offset use of paper products at various places along the east coast mainline
- Water fountains Berwick Upon Tweed – there are two ornate water fountains on platforms one & two at Berwick. LNER will investigate options to bring these fountains back into working order
- Durham footpath improvement – fit handrails, replace tarmac with paving stones and transfer ownership of the stairs to the Friends of Wharton Park
- Bee Friendly Trust – to create attractive planting areas that will enhance the station environment and support biodiversity.