Make a seat reservation
Always guarantee your seat when you get onboard an LNER train with Seat Sure
Some tickets such as Off-Peak and flexible returns don't have a seat reservation.
So that you have the most comfortable journey (and don’t end up standing on busier trains) we recommend you check your ticket already has a seat reservation, and if it doesn’t make one before you board.
At busier times you may be seated next to another passenger.
How to make a seat reservation
- Check your ticket (both outward and return) to see if you have a seat reservation. You can check your LNER account online or on the LNER Mobile App if you bought directly from us.
- If you can see a coach and seat number, great - you already have a seat reservation!
- If you don't have a seat number, getting one is easy. Simply use this form to make a free seat reservation.
Are you a Season ticket or Travel pass holder?
You can reserve a seat in the same way, or if you'd like to reserve seats for multiple days at a time, email Seasonseats@lner.co.uk with the date and times you'd like to travel.
You can make a reservation up to 5 minutes before a trains' scheduled departure, even if you haven't bought your ticket directly from LNER.
Benefits of being Seat Sure
About Seat Sure
To provide you with a more comfortable journey and to give you confidence that the train you're travelling on will not be overcrowded, Seat Sure means that most seats will require a reservation.
To ensure passengers who have a Flexible ticket or pass can still use that benefit and walk-up to board a train, there will be a number of unreserved seats in Coach C for Standard and a number of seats in Coach E or M in First Class, on all of our trains.
This means that if you don't have a seat reservation you'll still be able to travel in the unreserved part of the train.
How do I know if I have a seat reservation already?
If you already have a seat reservation your ticket will show ‘seat reserved’ and will have a coach and seat number.
- You should sit in your designated coach and seat number.
- Even if other seats are empty, they could be reserved for someone else later in the journey.
If you are travelling as a group or household we'll seat you all together.
If you haven't already bought your tickets, you can benefit from a discount. Group between three and nine people automatically save 20% when you book on our website or the LNER Mobile App.
If you're travelling in a group of 10 or more, you can contact us to discuss a discount.
How to cancel or change your reservation
If you no longer need your reservation or you wish to travel on a different train and your ticket allows it, you can cancel this easily in your account area and reserve a new seat.
- If needed, reserve your new seat
- Go to My account and My bookings
- Choose the seat reservation you no longer need
- Click on 'See all reservations under this booking' and tap 'View or cancel'