Make a seat reservation
Always guarantee your seat when you get onboard an LNER train with Seat Sure
Some tickets such as Off-Peak and flexible returns don't have a seat reservation.
So that you have the most comfortable journey (and don’t end up standing on busier trains) we recommend you check your ticket already has a seat reservation, and if it doesn’t make one before you board.
At busier times you may be sat next to another passenger. In Scotland, the guidance remains to keep physical distance where possible.
How to make a seat reservation
- Check your ticket (both outward and return) to see if you have a seat reservation. You can check your LNER account online or on the LNER Mobile App if you bought directly from us.
- If you can see a coach and seat number, great - you already have a seat reservation!
- If you don't have a seat number, getting one is easy. Simply use this form to make a free seat reservation.
Are you a Season ticket or Travel pass holder?
You can reserve a seat in the same way, or if you'd like to reserve seats for multiple days at a time, email Seasonseats@lner.co.uk with the date and times you'd like to travel.
You can make a reservation up to 5 minutes before a trains' scheduled departure, even if you haven't bought your ticket directly from LNER.
Benefits of being Seat Sure
About Seat Sure
To provide you with a more comfortable journey and to give you confidence that the train you're travelling on will not be overcrowded, Seat Sure means that most seats will require a reservation.
To ensure passengers who have a Flexible ticket or pass can still use that benefit and walk-up to board a train, there will be a number of unreserved seats in Coach C for Standard and a number of seats in Coach E or M in First Class, on all of our trains.
This means that if you don't have a seat reservation you'll still be able to travel in the unreserved part of the train.
How do I know if I have a seat reservation already?
If you already have a seat reservation your ticket will show ‘seat reserved’ and will have a coach and seat number.
- You should sit in your designated coach and seat number.
- Even if other seats are empty, they could be reserved for someone else later in the journey.
We've made some changes so that you can now choose your own seat. When reserving your seat, view our seat map and choose your favourite spot onboard.
If you are travelling as a group or household we'll seat you all together.
If you haven't already bought your tickets, you can benefit from a discount. Group between three and nine people automatically save 20% when you book on our website or the LNER Mobile App.
If you're travelling in a group of 10 or more, you can contact us to discuss a discount.
How to cancel or change your reservation
If you no longer need your reservation or you wish to travel on a different train and your ticket allows it, you can cancel this easily in your account area and reserve a new seat.
- If needed, reserve your new seat
- Go to My account and My bookings
- Choose the seat reservation you no longer need
- Click on 'See all reservations under this booking' and tap 'View or cancel'