Make a seat reservation
To ensure a safe number of customers can travel on each of our trains you must have a seat reservation when you travel with LNER.
If you have an Advance ticket you'll have a seat reservation with your ticket. You'll only to need to reserve a seat if:
- Your ticket doesn't show a coach or seat number because you have a flexible ticket (ie Off-Peak Single or Return)
- You’re a Season Ticket holder (to book multiple days at a time, please email Seasonseats@lner.co.uk with the date and times you'd like to travel).
- If you have a valid travel pass.
You can make a reservation up to 5 minutes before a trains' scheduled departure, even if you haven't bought your ticket directly from LNER.
How do I know if I have a seat reservation already?
If you already have a seat reservation your ticket will show ‘seat reserved’ and will have a coach and seat number.
- You must sit in your designated coach and seat number, as this is socially distanced from other passengers, and ignore any seat indicators showing red or green lights.
- Onboard it may appear that some coaches are emptier than others, please don't move seats, it may be that these seats are booked for customers boarding at a later station.
We've made some changes so that you can now choose your own seat. When reserving your seat, view our seat map and choose your favourite spot onboard.
Our reservation system automatically creates space between separate bookings in accordance with government guidelines.
If you are travelling as a group or household, we’ll seat you all together. Please stick to government guidelines and only book together if it’s in line with the advice. If not, you’ll need to make separate bookings or individual seat reservations.
Your group will be socially distanced from other customers in accordance with government guidelines.
How to cancel your reservation
If you no longer need your reservation you can cancel this easily in your account area.
- Choose the seat reservation you no longer need
- Click on 'See all reservations under this booking' and tap 'View or cancel'