Unlocking King's Cross station
More trains and quicker journeys will be unlocked by Network Rail’s planned work to untangle the tracks outside London King’s Cross train station.
When these works are complete we will be able to run over 25% more trains into and out of the station every day.
What work is being carried out?
While the station itself was modernised in 2012, the existing track and signalling layout has not been improved since it was installed over 40 years ago.
Network Rail are renewing the track, overhead wires and signalling on the approach to the station; and the track is being re-laid in a new layout, with a disused tunnel being reopened, allowing for six tracks into the station instead of the current four.
For more information visit the East Coast upgrade website here.
Will trains be impacted?
We’ve made good progress so far on the East Coast Upgrade, to bring faster, more reliable journeys across the route. Further weekend works are scheduled to take place throughout 2020, starting in early January.
Dates affected by works
Planned engineering works at King’s Cross will begin taking place from late October 2019 until March 2020.
Weekend trains from London King’s Cross will be impacted due to planned improvement works:
- Saturday 26 & Sunday 27 October
- Saturday 2 & Sunday 3 November
- Saturday 16 & Sunday 17 November
- Saturday 23 & Sunday 24 November
Last train on Saturday: 8pm (rather than the usual 10pm).
First train on Sunday: 11.03am to Leeds and 11.22am to Edinburgh
Trains are expected to be extremely busy between 11am and 3pm, to avoid standing please ensure you reserve a seat.
- Friday 27 December, we will also be running a reduced train service from London King's Cross until 1330.
From January 2020
There will be no trains running to and from London King's Cross station on the following weekends:
- Saturday 25 & Sunday 26 January
- Saturday 29 February & Sunday 1 March
On these dates we are advising customers not to travel to and from London.
There will also be a some partial closures of London King's Cross station on the following weekends in January and February:
- Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 January
- Saturday 11 & Sunday 12 January
- Saturday 18 & Sunday 19 January
- Saturday 8 & Sunday 9 February
- Saturday 15 & Sunday 16 February
On these dates there will be a reduced train service. Please ensure you have reserved a seat with your ticket and check your journey before you travel.
Reserving a seat with your ticket
Our trains will be very busy during the planned engineering works because we have a reduced number of trains. We strongly recommend that you book in advance and reserve a seat.
LNER Advance tickets come with a compulsory seat reservation, but flexible tickets like Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak and Anytime tickets don’t. The good news is that it’s completely free to reserve a seat. Just remember to request one when you buy your ticket to ensure you don't end up standing or on a later train during these weekends.
How to reserve a seat
When you book an Advance ticket with us you'll have a seat reservation included. For all other ticket types it's best to check you reserved your seat when you were booking your ticket.
You can add a seat reservation to your booking by visiting your local LNER station or by calling our customer services team on 03457 225 333.
- Before 11am – No northbound trains
- 11am to 3pm – Trains will be extremely busy. We recommend that you reserve a seat
- 3pm onwards – Seats are likely to be available. Please check before you travel and reserve a seat where possible.
Need extra help? Our Assisted Travel team are on hand to help
You can call the team on the number below or complete the online form if you need:
- Advice at the stations you want to use
- Help planning the best route and buying tickets
- Assistance for when you arrive at the station, change trains or reach your destination
- Or reserved seats, including wheelchair spaces and priority seats for extra legroom.
Please contact the Assisted Travel team:
- Telephone 03457 225 225, option 3
- Text rely service 18001 03457 225 225
- Fill in the online form here.
Phone lines are open Monday to Saturday from 8am - 8pm and Sunday 10am- 8pm