East Coast Upgrade
We are working in partnership with Network Rail to deliver their upgrades to the East Coast mainline.
These engineering works will allow us to run more trains between London, the North and Scotland, and to deliver quicker, more reliable journeys across our route.
Dates affected by engineering works in 2020
On completion of the East Coast Upgrade, we will be able to run more of our new Azuma trains, with extra seats plus a faster and more reliable service.
Good progress has been made on this East Coast upgrade, but there’s still work to do and, unfortunately, services will be disrupted on a number of weekends for those using LNER and other train operators.
During the weekends below, London King's Cross station will be closed and we advise that you Do Not Travel to or from London.
- 5 & 6 September - Do Not Travel to or from London - There will be no LNER trains south of Peterborough.
- 21 & 22 November - Do Not Travel to or from London - There will be no LNER trains in or out of London King's Cross.
Alternative services towards London will be available during these weekends however they will be extremely busy.
There will be further weekends with no trains to or from King’s Cross later this year, as well as planned disruption over the Christmas and New Year period.
- These dates are still to be confirmed and we will update this page when we have this information.
- You could also consider staying longer and travelling either side of the planned disruption.
- Staying longer and travelling either side of the planned engineer works
- If you do need to travel during the planned works book in advance and reserve a seat.
- Flexible tickets don't come with a seat reservation so you'll need to make sure you've reserved a seat or you may end up standing for your journey
- Please be aware that trains during and around any periods of planned disruption (especially Friday and Monday trains) will be busy.