First Class is calling you
Treat yourself and bid for a last-minute upgrade.
We want to give you more opportunities to experience our amazing First Class when you travel on our trains. So we’re bringing a world first to UK rail by teaming up with Seatfrog, an app for bidding on last-minute seat upgrades.
Download the Seatfrog app today to bid on a Monday to Friday First Class upgrade.
First Class is calling you
Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, use Seatfrog to bid to upgrade your Standard Advance ticket from as little as £5* and you could be jumping into a First Class seat.
Seatfrog is currently exclusively available to customers who book direct through the LNER website, with the Seatfrog service becoming more widely available over the upcoming months.
To be eligible, you should:
- Book an LNER Standard Advance, Anytime, Off-Peak or Super-Off Peak ticket ticket via this website.
- Travel on an LNER train between Monday and Friday.
How does Seatfrog work?
LNER Standard Advance ticket holders
Once you’ve booked your LNER Standard Advance ticket, download the Seatfrog app and sign up. Enter your booking reference when prompted, and we’ll show you what upgrades are available for your journey
Standard Anytime, Off-Peak or Super-Off Peak ticket holders
If you have a Standard Anytime, Off-Peak or Super-Off Peak ticket, you’ll need to download the app, sign in, and add your trip via Seatfrog’s handy train search feature. Bidding opens 24hrs before your train departs.
Enter your booking reference
Once you’ve booked your standard Advance ticket, download the Seatfrog app and sign up. Enter your booking reference when prompted, and we’ll show you what upgrades are available for your journey
Select how many upgrades you want
Remember, everyone in your group must hold their eligible tickets to travel.
Bidding usually starts a few hours before your scheduled departure – Seatfrog will notify you as soon as the auction is due to start. Set your price. Seatfrog will bid on your behalf up to your set amount. It’s free to take part in the auctions, and you only pay if you win. Plus, we'll keep you posted with instant alerts so you don't miss a thing.
Upgrade in seconds
The moment you win, we’ll send your upgrade straight to your phone. That way you can enjoy First Class as soon as you’re onboard. It’s that easy.
You can bid on multiple upgrades with Seatfrog and travel First Class in style with friends, colleagues or family!
- Before you bid make sure you select the number of passengers you wish to upgrade. We will let you know if there aren’t enough seats available.
- Due to the last-minute availability of upgrades, we cannot guarantee all travellers will be seated together.
- Make sure all passengers you wish to upgrade have an eligible ticket.
Download Seatfrog to upgrade to First Class today.
First Class benefits
We’ve been working hard to make our First Class experience just right, whether you’re looking for relaxation or need room to work with Wi-Fi and plug sockets here's a few reasons why First Class offers you our most luxurious travel experience:
- New menu's onboard offering you complimentary food & drink
- Spacious recling seats
- Free Wi-Fi
- Tables at every seat
- Power sockets
- Relax in our First Class lounges
Note menu options may vary based on date, time of day and availability. View our First Class menu to see what’s being served.
Seatfrog Terms and Conditions
- This Seatfrog upgrade auction offer can only be used by customers and accompanying travellers on the same booking reference, with a valid Standard ticket, travelling on eligible London North Eastern Railway trains.
- Seatfrog upgrade auctions are available on selected London North Eastern Railway trains only, with at least one seat available on eligible trains.
- Each First Class upgrade is valid for a single person travelling on the booking reference number entered into the Seatfrog App, and is for the stipulated one-way journey only. Upgrades can only be used in conjunction with a valid London North Eastern Railway Standard ticket.
- Customers travelling in a group on the same booking reference may participate in a Seatfrog upgrade auction to upgrade together. Any member of the group can register with Seatfrog and bid on a number of seats which they specify. Should the member win an upgrade, the specified number of upgrades will be issued to their device.
- Due to the last-minute nature of Seatfrog upgrade auctions we cannot guarantee every member of the group will be sat together if an upgrade bid is successful.
- Upon payment of the upgrade fee, customers are issued with First Class upgrade barcodes for the specified number of upgrades within the Seatfrog app. Each upgrade barcode issued to your mobile must be presented along with a valid original Standard ticket, to the train manager when travelling onboard the train. Please also retain your original tickets to pass through the station ticket barriers. Without both the First Class upgrade barcode and a valid original Standard ticket, the upgrade is not valid.
- Seatfrog upgrades are verified by the train manager onboard the train. If the customer is unable to produce a valid barcode on their mobile device, they may be charged for a full price upgrade. It is the customers' responsibility to ensure their mobile device is fully charged as verification can take place at any point during the train journey.
- First Class upgrades purchased via the Seatfrog app also include access to the London North Eastern Railway First Class lounges located along the east coast route at Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Newcastle, Darlington, Doncaster, Leeds, Wakefield and London King's Cross.
- Upgrades are available across the east coast, on London North Eastern Railway, at a starting price from as little as £5.
- The upgrades are also eligible for Delay Repay compensation should the service you are travelling on be delayed by 30 minutes or more.
- If the London North Eastern Railway train on which you have purchased an upgrade is cancelled or delayed by more than 60 minutes, special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on the next available London North Eastern Railway train (although a seat cannot be guaranteed), or to refund the fee paid for your upgrade provided your journey has not yet commenced.
- First Class complimentary food and drink varies according to date, time of day and the journey being made.
- Seatfrog First Class upgrades are not eligible for any other train company.
- Customers that purchase a Seatfrog upgrade with a valid Standard ticket can only travel in First Class on the train for which the upgrade was purchased. Upgrades are not transferable even if your original ticket permits you to travel in Standard on other London North Eastern Railway trains.
- London North Eastern Railway reserve the right to not honour the upgrade should disruption occur between purchasing the upgrade and your journey commencing. In this instance, you will be refunded for your upgrade.