Travelling on the August bank holiday weekend
On August bank holiday weekend there are no LNER trains running in or out of London King's Cross on Saturday 24 & Sunday 25 August 2019. Here's everything you need to know to plan for your journey.
Travelling by train on the August bank holiday weekend?
Due to Network Rail planned engineering works there are no trains in or out of London King's Cross on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 August 2019. Find out more about the Network Rail track upgrades here, or read our travel advice below.
|Thursday 22 August||Travel on this date for August Bank holiday|
|Friday 23 August||Travel on this date peak ticket restrictions have been removed in the afternoon travelling northbound from London King's Cross|
|Saturday 24 August||DO NOT TRAVEL: No trains to or from London King's Cross, because the station is closed.|
|Sunday 25 August||DO NOT TRAVEL: No trains to or from London King's Cross, because the station is closed.|
|Monday 26 August||
Trains will be very busy:
|Tuesday 27 August||LNER trains return to normal timetable, plan your journey here.|
Please ensure you have reserved a seat and where possible we recommend travelling on Thursday, Friday and Tuesday 27 August.
How to reserve a seat
Flexible tickets don't come with a seat reservation so you'll need to make sure you've reserved a seat or you may end up standing for your journey.
When you book an Advance ticket with us you'll have a seat reservation included.
You can add a seat reservation to your booking by visiting your local LNER station, or by calling our Customer Solutions team on 03457 225 333.
Our top travel tips
Before you go
- Check your journey plans and make sure you don't travel on Saturday 24 or Sunday 25 August. Find out more about the King's Cross track upgrade here.
- Reserve a seat: If you don’t secure your seat in advance, you may have to stand. Find out how to reserve a seat above.
- Download your favourite movies and shows before you board: There's free Wi-Fi for everyone on our trains but we do restrict streaming for everyone's benefit - so please download to your devices before you travel.
- Limit your luggage: There’s luggage space for everyone, but it is limited. Pack light and everyone will have more room onboard.
- Need extra assistance? Book assistance in advance: we're always on hand to help at our stations and on our trains. Let us know you need extra assistance before you travel so that we can make your journey as comfortable as possible.
- Travelling with a bike? If part of your journey involves a bus replacement you won't be able to bring your bike with you because there won't be suitable storage
At the station
- Arrive early on Thursday, Friday and Monday: With more people travelling, it’ll take longer to collect your tickets and board the train, especially if you have a bike. And if you get there earlier, you're more likely to find a seat if you haven't made a reservation.
- Check your platform and train schedule, remember we won't have any LNER trains on Saturday 24 & Sunday 25 August: Use our handy travel alerts page to check on your journey before you board.
- Wait at your coach: We mark out where our coaches will stop on each of our platforms so you can get yourself to the right place to board the train and grab your seat.
Onboard the train
- Enjoy our delicious new food & drink menu: We've launched a new menu that can be purchased at our Cafe Bar in coach J, H. or coach G on an LNER Azuma train, view the menu here.
- Connect to the free Wi-Fi: Stay connected to the things that matter with our free onboard Wi-Fi.
- Travelling with kids? Pick up a kids activity pack from the Cafe Bar and entertain the little ones for your journey.
Travelling to York Ebor Festival 24 -25 August?
- Trains will be running through York on Saturday 24 and Sunday 25, however we will be running a reduced train service between Doncaster, York and Edinburgh over the bank holiday.
- If you're travelling from London there will be no direct train to or from London King's Cross. Alternative routes via other operators are available from London St Pancras, however these will be extremely busy and seats will be limited.
- Travelling from Peterborough? A reduced LNER train service will be running and customers are advised this will be a longer journey time than usual. Book early as seats will be limited.
Please ensure you have reserved a seat if travelling, otherwise they may have to stand for their journey. Plan your journey here.
Train services to and from York on Wednesday 21, Thursday 22 and Friday 23 August will be unaffected; however, trains may still be busy therefore customers are advised to reserve a seat, otherwise they may have to stand for the journey.
Edinburgh Fringe travel advice
To help you plan your journey we've detailed our most popular trains from London King's Cross to Edinburgh and when is best to travel:
- Friday 16 August: Travel in the evening for quieter trains
- Saturday 17 August: Travel in the afternoon or evening for quieter trains
- Sunday 18 August: Trains are very busy all day, please ensure you have a seat reservation
- Monday 19 August: Travel early morning and in the evening for the quietest trains
- Thursday 22 August: Travel early morning and in the evening for the quietest trains
- Friday 23 August: Travel early morning and in the evening for the quietest trains
- Saturday 24 August: There are no trains in or our of London King's Cross
- Sunday 25 August: There are no trains in or our of London King's Cross
- Monday 26 August: Trains are very busy all day, please ensure you have a seat reservation