Season tickets give you unlimited travel between two stations: any time, any day, any train, as many times as you like. They can last between a week and a year. One ticket to rule them all.
What are the advantages?
- Great if you commute between two stations, or otherwise travel regularly.
- All the flexibility of an Anytime ticket without having to buy one for every journey.
- Go as many times as you want, like having the keys to your favourite funfair ride
- Works at the weekend too
- Lasts as long as you like
When can you use your season ticket?
- Whenever you feel like it. Until it expires
- Season tickets can last up to a year, and start at a week for shorter journeys and a month for longer ones
Goodbye paper season tickets. Hello Smartcard.
When renewing your Season Ticket, or buying one for the first time, at one of our Travel Centres, you can now choose to have it loaded onto our new LNER Smartcard.
Smartcards are durable so they won’t wear out like paper season tickets. They work time after time, tap after tap.
As with current season ticket conditions, a season ticket photocard will be required to accompany your LNER Smartcard for identification purposes.
Find out more about Smartcards in our FAQs.
Note: LNER Smartcards are currently only available to purchase from Peterborough and Edinburgh stations, but can be used at any station.
2020 and 2021 East Coast Mainline Upgrades
During 2020 and 2021, major engineering works will take place along our route to deliver the East Coast Upgrade. Once complete, these improvements will enable more trains and quicker journeys to and from London King’s Cross, including an increase in LNER services, meaning many more seats.
Whilst this upgrade will unlock fantastic benefits for you, there will be periods of disruption to our train services when the work is carried out.
In addition to disruption to services during weekends in 2020, the provisional dates of the longer periods of work are:
- A reduced long-distance service planned from Saturday 5 September to Sunday 13 September 2020 to enable engineering work between Grantham and Peterborough, including no long-distance services to or from King’s Cross on the weekend of Saturday 5 September and Sunday 6 September 2020.
- Prolonged disruption planned from Saturday 19 December 2020 through to late March 2021 affecting weekdays and weekends, with a mix of reduced services and no services at King’s Cross.
These dates are still being finalised but we wanted to give you plenty of advance notice as some of your journeys may be disrupted during significant periods of work.
In the meantime, for the most up-to-date information please visit eastcoastupgrade.co.uk.
How do I apply for a Season Ticket?
You can buy a Season Ticket online now, click here to find out how.
You can also pick up an application form from your nearest Travel Centre or Booking Office – you’ll need to bring a passport-sized photograph with you. If you’re buying a Season Ticket for the first time, you can check the price in advance by using the journey planner on this page.
Can I pay for my annual Season Ticket in instalments?
In general, no. However, LNER runs a scheme for travel between LNER-served stations only, that lets you pay by four quarterly direct debits, but only if your ticket does not include cross-London travel. To set this up you will need to visit your nearest Travel Centre.
Can I buy a car park season ticket?
Yes, you can buy a car park season ticket for LNER stations from any LNER Travel Centre. They are available for 7 days, 1 month, 3 months and 12 months, depending on the length of your Season Ticket.
We operate car parks at the following stations: Peterborough, Grantham, Newark North Gate, Retford, Doncaster, Wakefield Westgate, York, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle and Dunbar.
Non-LNER operated stations may also have car parks where season tickets may be available. Check the availability of car park season tickets at other stations.
In addition, all LNER operated car parks have the option to buy a one-week ticket (one entry and one exit) at the car park ticket machine – with or without a Season Ticket.
Can I change my travel plans?
Yes, your ticket gives you unlimited travel on your chosen route (unless you have opted to limit your ticket to the services of one operator), so you can travel whenever you like. In certain circumstances, you may also be able to transfer a season ticket on one route to another for a different route.
Do I need to book in advance?
No, you don’t. Provided you already have a photocard and are travelling immediately, just turn up and go.
Can I break my journey?
Yes, you can stop off at stations along your route of travel.
Can I get a discount with a Railcard?
Railcard discounts are not available on Season Tickets, as these tickets are already heavily discounted.
Are there discounts for children?
Yes, there is a 50% discount for children aged 5-15, and under 5s travel free. Read more about travelling with children.
Can I upgrade to First Class?
Yes, but in most cases it must be done at the booking office beforehand. You will be charged the difference between the First and Standard Day ticket prices.
Do I need a photocard to use my Season Ticket?
Yes, you do. To get one, take a passport size photo to any LNER Travel Centre when you buy your Season Ticket, and you'll be given a photocard free of charge.
How do I refund my Season Ticket?
You can see an estimate of your Season ticket refund using the NRE Season ticket calculator.
To claim for a Season Ticket refund, please email your ticket image to us at email@example.com:
- Full name on the season ticket
- Original Ticket Number of the season ticket
- Please cut your ticket in half from top to bottom with VOID written across it
- Take a photograph of the ticket on a plain background with the two pieces of the ticket clearly apart
- Please ensure the details on both halves of the ticket are readable
- It is only necessary to send an image of your actual travel ticket(s), we do not need to see your seat reservation or collection receipt
- Season ticket end date (where applicable)
- Photocard Number (if a season refund)
- Station from and station to
- Class of travel (First or Standard Class)
- And your last day of travel
Season ticket refunds are subject to a £10 administration fee. We are currently working to normal timelines for processing Season ticket refunds.
Terms & conditions
Please read our terms and conditions for Season Tickets before booking.
When you purchase a Season Ticket for the first time, you will need to provide a passport-sized photograph. This will enable us to issue you with your photocard, which must accompany your Season Ticket. Your photocard can then be used with any further Season Ticket that you purchase. Please remember, children may require proof of age. If a photocard is lost or the true likeness of the holder changes, a new photocard is required before it can be used with a Season Ticket. We will issue a replacement Season Ticket with the new photocard serial number in these circumstances. An administration charge may be made.
A Season Ticket is valid for travel on any train, at any time (excluding Christmas Day and Boxing Day) between the two stations or zones specified, for as many journeys as you want for the period shown and by the route or train company shown on your ticket. Travel beyond the specified stations/zones or after the expiry date or by any route that is not valid, will require the purchase of a separate ticket for the additional journey. A Season Ticket is only valid when produced together with the photocard to which it relates.
A refund may be made on a monthly (or longer duration) tickets from the issuing office provided that there are at least 7 days' validity remaining. A refund is calculated from the date the Season Ticket is returned. If you claim a refund on a ticket purchased because you could not produce your Season Ticket and/or photocard at the time of travel, on the first occasion you may receive a full refund. On the second occasion, you may receive a refund and pay an administration fee of £10. On the third and all subsequent occasions within the 12-month period starting from the first occasion that the Season Ticket could not be produced, no refund will be given on tickets purchased.
These are available to holders of monthly or annual Season Tickets. If lost, you must inform the Travel Centre from which you bought the Season Ticket as soon as possible and agree to return the lost ticket if found. An administration charge* will be made for replacing the lost ticket. A second replacement may be allowed if the original Season Ticket is returned to us within one month of notification of the loss, or if the first or second request for a duplicate arose as a result of theft, robbery, fire or other exceptional circumstances, the facts of which have been reported to the police, the fire service or another appropriate body. * The administration charge for a duplicate season ticket is £20.
5. New Tickets or Renewals
i) Following a break of continuity
- 7-Day Season Tickets - The ticket may be issued on the start date; if the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from 0600 hours on the previous Sunday.
- Monthly and Annual Season Tickets - If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (also Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday. If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.
ii) Where the ticket is surrendered with no break of continuity
- 7-Day Season Tickets - If the start date is a Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday) the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday. If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.
- Monthly and Annual Seasons Tickets - The ticket may be issued any time up to seven days in advance.
6. Season Ticket Holders Seat Reservation Terms & Conditions
- One application form per Season Ticket holder. Multiple bookings will not be processed.
- All fields must be completed in order for the reservations to be processed.
- We will do our best to reserve the seat of your choice or one closest to your request.
- Reservations can be made up to 12 weeks in advance.
- Reservations are available only from LNER Travel Centres and are subject to availability.
- Reservations are not valid unless they are accompanied with the correct Season Ticket and a copy of the seat reservation form.
- Reservation fees may apply.
- A maximum of one journey per direction per day is permitted.
- Please allow up to 7 days for reservations to be processed. Reservations can be made up to 7 days beyond the expiry of your Season Ticket.
- LNER has the right to withdraw or modify this facility. Where possible, reasonable prior notice will be given.
- Reservations are subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel.