Terms and conditions
In order to provide great priced fares, we have to attach a small number of conditions in addition to those in the National Rail Conditions of Travel booklet (also available at stations).
Please read these terms and conditions carefully, as you may be charged the full fare if you haven’t purchased the correct ticket for your journey:
- Advance tickets must be purchased at least 5 minutes before travel, subject to availability.
- Your ticket(s) are only valid for the date and time shown for LNER train(s) plus any connecting train companies.
- If your ticket shows a route "LNER and Connections", you will be reserved on to all necessary LNER trains and connecting trains of other companies at the time of booking. Please note that if you take connecting trains other than those shown on your ticket, your ticket won't be valid.
- Changes to travel plans:
a. These are permitted up until the time of departure of the first reserved train shown on your ticket(s). After this time, your ticket has no value and a new ticket must be purchased.
If you have chosen an eTicket as your delivery method, then your ticket(s) can only be changed via your LNER account online or in-app, up until 18.00 the day before the date of departure of the first reserved train shown on your ticket(s). You cannot amend eTickets at a station or onboard the train. If you have chosen any other delivery method, then your ticket(s) can be changed online via your LNER account, up until 17.00 the day before the date of departure of the first reserved train shown on your ticket(s), or at the station up until the time of departure of the first reserved train shown on your ticket(s). Note that when making amendments online Tickets on Departure (TOD) is not available as a delivery method for your new tickets. eTickets can be printed at home and postal options will be available where possible. If there is not enough time for your amended tickets to reach you in time for your new journey date / time, then no delivery options will be available online and you will need to amend your ticket(s) at a LNER station, up until the time of departure of the first reserved train shown on your ticket(s).
b. Changes to tickets cannot be made on board our trains. A new ticket must be purchased if you board a LNER train without a ticket and reservation for that train service.
c. Changes to tickets can be made by logging in to "Your Account", or at most staffed stations. A change is allowed provided the origin and destination are the same and travel is still by LNER for all or part of the journey. Changes can be brought forward by any number of weeks, or put back as far ahead as the Advance tickets are on sale (at least 12 weeks before travel).
d. For each change that you make, you will have to pay an additional charge, up to the appropriate fare for your new journey, plus an administration fee of £10 per single ticket. If you change onto a train where a cheaper fare is available, the difference will not be refunded and you will still have to pay the £10 fee. Please remember that you will need to present your original ticket(s) and reservation(s) as well as the new ones when you travel. The original tickets need to be kept once delivered or collected from the ticket machines in stations, within 28 days after the return date or before the revised date of travel, whichever is sooner.
e. You must travel with LNER for the main part of your journey. Your ticket cannot be changed to travel on any other Train Company’s services for this part of the journey.
- You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at an intermediate station except to change to/from appropriate connecting trains where these are shown on your ticket(s) or other official itinerary.
- Your ticket is non-refundable, should you decide not to use it. If the LNER train on which you are reserved is cancelled or delayed, special arrangements will be made to accommodate you on another train (although a seat cannot be guaranteed), or to refund your ticket provided your journey has not yet commenced.
- Railcard discounts can be used on Advance fares but not in conjunction with any other offers, unless specifically stated.
- There may be rare occasions where the cost of a journey may go down after reservations have opened. We regret that Advance tickets that have already been bought will not be refunded in part or in whole if this happens.