Travelling with your bike
With so much beautiful countryside along the east coast, what better way to explore our favourite destinations than on a bike. Here's how you can reserve a space for yours on our trains.
Reserve a place on the train for your bike
It’s one bike per customer and you must have a reservation for your bike. We have space for five bikes (three on some trains). If you’re travelling on one of our new Azuma trains read the 'Bikes on Azuma' information to find out what's new.
Reserve your bike space by phone
Before you book your train tickets, please phone our Web Support Team on 03457 225 111, to check bike space availability and to reserve your space. If there are no bike spaces available on the train you had in mind, we can help you choose an alternative train that does.
Reserve your bike space at the station
You can also reserve a spot onboard for your bike at Travel Centres and stations, right up to the time of departure. Spaces are limited though, so book as early as possible.
National Rail information about travelling with your bike can be found here.
If you have a Brompton-style folding bike, you can store it along with the luggage in passenger accommodation, so there’s no need to reserve a space for it.
But please fold your bike before boarding and don’t unfold until you (and it) are off the train. Unfortunately, we can’t carry non-folding bikes on any replacement coach services if there's a problem with your train.
Bikes at the station
- Please dismount from your bike before you enter the station.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before your train is due to leave, and give yourself plenty of time to get to the Train Manager to load your bike.
- If you’re leaving your bike at the station, please use the racks/cupboards provided. All bikes are left at your own risk and LNER accepts no liability for bike or contents left at the station.
- For security reasons, please don’t leave bags or panniers attached – we reserve the right to inspect the contents of any bike panniers and bags that are left in the cycle park.
- Please ensure the bike complies with LNER guidelines and that you have a valid bike reservation for the train you're boarding.
Boarding the train with your bike
- When directed by our station staff, load your bike onto the train and secure the bike using the Velcro straps (only) within the racks provided. After your bike is in place, board the train through the nearest available door.
- Prior to arrival at your destination, walk through the train to the correct area closest to where your bike is stored and, when directed, remove your bike from the train as quickly as possible.
What to do if you're at a station with a short platform
Some stations have short platforms. If this is the case for your train please speak to a member of staff.
- They will advise you to board the train at coach F and carry your bike to the Train Manager's Van at the first opportunity.
- If you're getting off at a short platform, please speak to the Train Manager when you board the train and ask their advice on the safest way to depart.
Bikes on our new Azuma trains
What you need to know about Azuma and bikes
- We’ve made it easier to bring your bike with you onboard. There’s space for your bike in different parts of the train.
- The size of the bike storage is the same on all of our trains. Tandems up to 2.5m in length with both wheels removed can also be stored onboard.
- Folding bikes are treated as luggage and can be stored in the luggage areas.
- Bikes must have a reservation (tyres measuring over 7.4cm and tandems require two reservations). Reservations can be made at station Travel Centres or over the phone.
- When you book your bike space for an Azuma train, you’ll be given a bike reservation which will have the coach letter displayed clearly so you know where to wait on the platform to board with your bike.
Boarding with a bike
- Bike storage is mostly located in the center of the train and your bike reservation will let you know which coach to wait besides.
- As always, please arrive 10 minutes before the train is due to depart. A member of staff will assist you with loading your bike.
- If your bike tyres are wider than 5.5cm it may be necessary to let air out of your front tyre to store your bike in the racks.
- If there is another bike in the storage area and your bike handle bars are 70cm or over you may need to store your bike by the rear wheel.
- If your bike has tyres measuring over 7.4cm or rims deeper than 50mm, you will need to remove the front wheel for storage, you will be required to book out two bike spaces.