Travelling with your bike
On yer bike!
Reserve a place on the train for your wheels
It’s one cycle per customer, and we’ve got space for five cycles (three on some trains).
- You must have a reservation for your bike on the train you're travelling on. Make sure your bike has its reservation ticket clearly displayed.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your train is due to leave, and give yourself plenty of time to get to the Train Manager’s van to load your cycle.
- Secure your bike using the Velcro straps provided - please don’t use your own bike lock.
- Tandems are accepted if they conform to the following specifications and have two reservations: 100cm in height x 60cm in width x 260cm
Reserve by phone
Once you've booked your tickets, phone our Web Support Team on 03457 225 111 to reserve a space for your cycle. If there are no spaces available, you'll be given the option to book a different time or route.
Reserve at the station
You can also reserve a spot onboard for your bike at Travel Centres and stations, right up to the time of departure. Spaces are limited though, so book as early as possible.
National Rail information about travelling with your bike can be found here.
If you have a Brompton-style folding bike, you can store it along with the luggage in passenger accommodation, so there’s no need to reserve a space for it.
But please fold your bike before boarding and don’t unfold until you (and it) are off the train. Unfortunately, we can’t carry non-folding cycles on any replacement coach services if there's a problem with your train.
Bikes at the station
- Please dismount from your cycle before you enter the station.
- If you’re leaving your bike at the station, please use the racks/cupboards provided. All cycles are left at your own risk and LNER accepts no liability for cycles or contents left at the station.
- For security reasons, please don’t leave bags or panniers attached – we reserve the right to inspect the contents of any cycle panniers and bags that are left in the cycle park.
- Ensure the cycle complies with LNER guidelines and that a valid cycle reservation is held for the service.
- Arrive on the platform at least 10 minutes before the departure of the train and locate a member of station staff regarding positioning on the platform.
- When directed, load the cycle onto the train and secure the cycle using the Velcro straps (only) within the cycle racks provided. Following securing the cycle, board the service through the nearest available door.
- Prior to arrival at destination station, walk through the train to the correct end and, when directed, remove the cycle from the train as quickly as possible.
- Some stations have short platforms – cycles may be carried to/from stations with short platforms. Please board the train at coach F and transfer your bike to the Train Manager's Van at the first opportunity, once you have spoken to the Train Manager. When getting off at a short platform, please speak to the Train Manager when you board the train and ask their advice on the safest way