Azuma is coming...
Faster, smarter, brand-new Azuma trains are coming soon.
Built using Japanese bullet train technology, there's improved Wi-Fi, power sockets at every seat, and more space for legs, luggage and laptops all round.
It’s been more than 30 years since the east coast mainline had a refresh. This is out with the old and in with the new as we begin to roll out a brand-new fleet of state-of-the-art trains from early 2019.
Azuma will give you quieter journeys and increased levels of comfort. But Azuma is more than new trains – this is about us transforming train travel for everyone along the east coast.
What is an Azuma?
Azuma means “east” in Japanese. Our new trains use Japanese bullet train technology, built by Hitachi's UK manufacturing team in County Durham, using parts supplied from the north east.
- We'll have more trains - increasing our fleet from 45 to 65 trains
- That means more than 12,200 more seats will be on our most in-demand routes - and more seats means more of our great-value fares
- The trains are a diesel-electric hybrid. This “bi-mode” technology will make them more resilient during disruption
- Azuma has technology, quality and reliability built in - so you can look forward to smoother, quieter, more reliable journeys.
What makes Azuma better?
Everything, but that was too much to list - so we’ve put down the best bits below.
In Standard you'll enjoy the best leg room on the east coast, alongside all of these additional benefits to our current trains:
- An extra 7cms of leg-room
- More overhead and under-seat luggage space to keep your valuables close by
- A power socket for every seat throughout the train
- Electronic seat reservations to help you find your seat
- Improved Wi-Fi
- Window blinds in every carriage.
In First Class you'll have more room and a smarter layout with modern practical solutions for you to relax and recharge:
- Seats are wider and reclining with generous leg-room and larger tables for laptops
- Our fastest ever Wi-Fi
- Power sockets and USB charging points at every seat
- Complimentary two-course meal for lunch and dinner, and our popular breakfast menu in the morning.
Take a virtual tour inside an Azuma train to see what's in store
When will Azuma launch, and which routes will Azuma trains travel on?
Refreshing our entire fleet of trains is a big task – that's why we're planning to roll out Azuma across the fleet over a number of months.
The first Azuma train will make journeys from London to Leeds in early 2019. We'll be announcing dates for further rollouts throughout next year so keep checking back!