LNER selects startups to help set new standards for rail travel28/05/20
LNER will be working with five of the most innovative startups around the world to accelerate new projects to improve rail travel in the UK.
The accelerator projects are part of LNER’s ground-breaking innovation programme, LNER FutureLabs. Startups were invited to pitch their pioneering ideas in three key areas; More Journeys, More Often, Personalised Customer Experience and Responsible Business.
Following two consecutive pitch days with startups from around the world – all held via Microsoft Teams – the panel selected five successful start-ups to take forward:
- QikServe, from Edinburgh, will be using their experience of digital self-service technology to help deliver an ‘at seat’ personalised customer experience
- Skignz, a global leader in augmented reality based in Middlesbrough, will be looking at how to create a personalised mapping and information experience for customers at and nearby LNER stations
- iomob, based in Barcelona, will aim to encourage more people to travel by train through the use of technology that supports better mobility
- Green City Solutions, from Berlin, will be working to provide clean air and healthy spaces for customers as part of LNER’s Responsible Business plan
- Sirenum will also be looking at the area of Responsible Business through advanced systems management from their headquarters in London.
Danny Gonzalez, Chief Digital and Innovation Officer at LNER, said: “It was fantastic to hear from startups from as far away as North America and the Middle East about how they would apply their innovative approaches to the UK rail industry.
“There was tough competition, but we have selected five startups that will now move onto the next stage of the accelerator programme and to see some of the ideas start to come to life. They certainly have the potential to make a real difference to the lives of our customers, communities and colleagues.”
From next week the five successful start-ups will receive unprecedented access to LNER’s live operational environments and one-to-one mentoring from senior team members as they develop their proof of concepts. A Demo Day will then be held in Central London in September.
To find out more about LNER FutureLabs, visit www.lnerfuturelabs.co.uk.
Latest NewsView all
LNER wants to hear from customers as nominations for the LNER Customer Choice Awards 2020 are now open.
LNER has officially re-opened its refurbished First Class Lounge at Berwick Station.
London North Eastern Railway (LNER) has officially opened a new Travel Centre at York Station. Offering a much lighter and modern environment the Travel Centre has been relocated from its previous location at the front of the station to a more central position on the main concourse, making better use of the space within the Grade II listed building.