Our new Azuma trains have arrived
Our new trains travel between London, Leeds, York, Newcastle, and Edinburgh. From 21 October we'll have more Azuma trains going to Lincoln so you can explore the historic city in style.
TRAVEL ON OUR NEW AZUMA TRAINS TODAY
Azuma is coming to Lincoln from 21 October offer you more seats in Standard, more trains, the same great fares and savings like these below:
- Grab a bargain from Leeds to London with Advance single tickets for £29 or less.
- Book our LNER Family Return Ticket – from just £49 for up to 2 adults and 4 children.
- Save 25% off Advance fares when you book with a group of 3-9 people, find out how to save here.
Book your tickets direct on the LNER website and you’ll bag our best fares, a bunch of sweet Nectar points, and you won’t be charged any booking fees.
When will I be able to travel on an Azuma train?
Refreshing our entire fleet of trains is a big task – that's why we're planning to roll out Azuma over a number of months.
First Azuma to Leeds, Wakefield, Doncaster, Peterborough and London
From 15 May.
First Azuma train to Hull, Brough, Selby, Newark and Grantham
From 16 May.
First Azuma train to Retford and Stevenage
From 27 May.
First Azuma to Skipton, Keighley and Shipley
From 17 June.
First Azuma to York, Newcastle, Edinburgh
From 1 August.
First Azuma train to Northallerton
From 3 August
First Azuma train to Berwick-upon Tweed
From 16 September
First Azuma train to Haymarket, Motherwell and Glasgow
From Mnday 23 September.
First Azuma train to Morpeth
From 28 September
View the Azuma train times here.
We'll be announcing dates for further rollouts throughout the year so keep checking back!
What is an Azuma train?
Azuma brings more space for extra comfort, faster free Wi-Fi and plug sockets at every seat and with more seats in Standard we've added more great value fares. But Azuma is more than new trains – this is about us transforming train travel for everyone.
Azuma means “east” in Japanese. Our new trains use Japanese bullet train technology, built by Hitachi's UK manufacturing team in County Durham, using parts supplied from the north east.
- We'll have more trains - increasing our fleet from 45 to 65 trains
- That means more than 100 more seats on every Azuma train will be available - and more seats means more of our great value fares
- The trains are a diesel-electric hybrid and are built in the north east of England using lightweight materials to make them more environmentally friendly
- Azuma has technology, quality and reliability built in - to give you smoother, quieter, more reliable journeys.
- We have 9-coach and 10-coach Azuma trains. You'll only travel on a 10-coach Azuma between London King's Cross and Leeds but because the train is made up of two 5-coach trains you can't walk all the way through. Read more here.