Our new Azuma trains have arrived
Our new trains travel between London, Leeds, York, Newcastle, and Edinburgh. We now have more Azuma trains going to Lincoln and from 15 December we'll have even more trains going to Harrogate, so you can explore the historic city in style.
TRAVEL ON OUR NEW AZUMA TRAINS TODAY
Azuma offers you more seats in Standard, more trains, the same great fares and savings like these below:
- Grab a bargain from Leeds to London with Advance single tickets for £29 or less.
- Book our LNER Family Return Ticket – from just £49 for up to 2 adults and 4 children.
- Save 25% off Advance fares when you book with a group of 3-9 people, find out how to save here.
Book your tickets direct on the LNER website and you’ll bag our best fares, a bunch of sweet Nectar points, and you won’t be charged any booking fees.
When will I be able to travel on an Azuma train?
Refreshing our entire fleet of trains is a big task – that's why we're planning to roll out Azuma over a number of months.
You can already travel on our new Azuma trains at certain times on these routes:
- Leeds, Wakefield, Doncaster, Peterborough and London.
- Hull, Brough, Selby, Newark, Grantham and Lincoln.
- Retford and Stevenage.
- Harrogate, Skipton, Keighley and Shipley.
- York, Northallerton, Newcastle, Edinburgh.
- Morpeth and Berwick-upon Tweed.
- Haymarket, Motherwell, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness.
We'll be announcing dates for further rollouts throughout the year so keep checking back!
What is an Azuma train?
Azuma brings more space for extra comfort, faster free Wi-Fi and plug sockets at every seat and with more seats in Standard we've added more great value fares. But Azuma is more than new trains – this is about us transforming train travel for everyone.
Azuma means “east” in Japanese. Our new trains use Japanese bullet train technology, built by Hitachi's UK manufacturing team in County Durham, using parts supplied from the north east.
- We'll have more trains - increasing our fleet from 45 to 65 trains
- That means more than 100 more seats on every Azuma train will be available - and more seats means more of our great value fares
- The trains are a diesel-electric hybrid and are built in the north east of England using lightweight materials to make them more environmentally friendly
- Azuma has technology, quality and reliability built in - to give you smoother, quieter, more reliable journeys.
- We have 9-coach and 10-coach Azuma trains. You'll only travel on a 10-coach Azuma between London King's Cross and Leeds but because the train is made up of two 5-coach trains you can't walk all the way through. Read more here.