Our new Azuma trains
Our Azuma trains travel between London, Leeds, York, Newcastle, and Edinburgh and have been designed to connect our destinations in a more comfortable, faster and eco-friendly way.
Travel on our new Azuma trains
Azuma offers you more seats in Standard, more trains, the same great fares and savings.
Book your tickets direct on the LNER website and you won’t be charged any booking fees.
What is an Azuma train?
Azuma brings more space for extra comfort, faster free Wi-Fi and plug sockets at every seat and with more seats in Standard we've added more great value fares. But Azuma is more than new trains – this is about us transforming train travel for everyone.
Azuma means “east” in Japanese. Our new trains use Japanese bullet train technology, built by Hitachi's UK manufacturing team in County Durham, using parts supplied from the north east.
- We'll have more trains - increasing our fleet from 45 to 65 trains.
- That means more than 100 more seats on every Azuma train will be available - and more seats means more of our great value fares.
- The trains are a diesel-electric hybrid and are built in the north east of England using lightweight materials to make them more environmentally friendly.
- Azuma has technology, quality and reliability built in - to give you smoother, quieter, more reliable journeys.
- We have 9-coach and 10-coach Azuma trains. You'll only travel on a 10-coach Azuma between London King's Cross and Leeds but because the train is made up of two 5-coach trains you can't walk all the way through. Read more here.
Just look at what they've achieved so far...
About our 10-coach Azuma train
What bike storage is there on an Azuma train?
What wheelchair access is available on Azuma?
*Estimated savings hybrid Azuma train vs a HST on London to Inverness