First Class is calling you
Treat yourself and bid for a last-minute upgrade.
We want to give you more opportunities to experience our amazing First Class when you travel on our trains. So we’re bringing a world first to UK rail by teaming up with Seatfrog, an awesome app for bidding on last-minute seat upgrades.
Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, use Seatfrog to bid to upgrade your Standard Advance ticket from as little as £5* and you could be jumping into a First Class seat.
Tell me more…
Seatfrog is currently exclusively available to customers who book direct through the LNER website, with the service becoming more widely available over the upcoming months.
To be eligible, you should:
- Book an LNER Standard Advance ticket via this website.
- Travel on an LNER service between Monday and Friday.
If you book tickets on an eligible service, we'll email you to let you know.
NEW - Upgrade together
Now you can bid on multiple upgrades with Seatfrog and travel First Class in style with friends, colleagues or family!
- Before you bid make sure you select the number of passengers you wish to upgrade. We will let you know if there aren’t enough seats available.
- Due to the last-minute availability of upgrades, we cannot guarantee all travellers will be seated together.
- Make sure all passengers you wish to upgrade have an eligible ticket
How does Seatfrog work?
Enter your booking reference
Once you’ve booked your standard Advance ticket, download the Seatfrog app and sign up. Enter your booking reference when prompted, and we’ll show you what upgrades are available for your journey
Select how many upgrades you want
Remember, everyone in your group must hold their eligible tickets to travel.
Bidding usually starts a few hours before your scheduled departure – Seatfrog will notify you as soon as the auction is due to start. Set your price. Seatfrog will bid on your behalf up to your set amount. It’s free to take part in the auctions, and you only pay if you win. Plus, we'll keep you posted with instant alerts so you don't miss a thing.
Upgrade in seconds
The moment you win, we’ll send your upgrade straight to your phone. That way you can enjoy First Class as soon as you’re onboard.It’s that easy.
With more seats and services available for upgrade every day, download Seatfrog to make your next bid for First Class today.
Our onboard benefits get better and better
That’s right, you can almost feel it… the plush carpets, the reclining leather seat, all that extra leg room. We’ve been working hard to make our First Class experience just right, whether you’re in the market for relaxation or need room to work with free Wi-Fi and plug sockets. We’ve even teamed up with award-winning chef James Martin, to bring you gloriously tasty food for a gloriously tasty journey. Deeeelish!
Note menu options may vary based on date, time of day and availability. Check our First Class dining pages to see what’s cooking.
Seatfrog Terms and Conditions
- This Seatfrog upgrade auction offer can only be used by customers and accompanying travellers on the same booking reference, with a Standard Advance ticket, travelling on eligible LNER services.
- Seatfrog upgrade auctions are available on selected LNER services only, with at least 1 seat available on eligible services in operation.
- Each First Class upgrade is valid for a single person travelling on the booking reference number entered into the Seatfrog App, and is for the stipulated one-way journey only. Upgrades can only be used in conjunction with an LNER standard Advance ticket.
- Customers travelling in a group on the same booking reference may participate in a Seatfrog upgrade auction to upgrade together. Any member of the group can register with Seatfrog and bid on a number of seats which they specify. Should the member win an upgrade, the specified number of upgrades will be issued to their device.
- Due to the last-minute nature of Seatfrog upgrade auctions, we can't guarantee every member of the group will be sat together if an upgrade bid is successful.
- Upon payment of the upgrade fee, customers are issued with First Class upgrade barcodes for the specified number of upgrades within the Seatfrog app. Each upgrade barcode issued on your mobile phone must be presented along with your original Standard Advance ticket to the Train Manager when travelling on board the train. Please also retain your original tickets to pass through the station ticket barriers. Without both the First Class upgrade barcode and the original Standard Advance ticket, the upgrade is not valid.
- Seatfrog upgrades are verified by the Train Manager on board the train. If the customer is unable to produce a valid barcode on their mobile device, they may be charged for a full price upgrade. It is the customers’ responsibility to ensure their mobile device is fully charged as verification can take place at any point during the train journey.
- First Class upgrades purchased via the Seatfrog app also include access to the LNER First Class Lounges located along the LNER route at Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Newcastle, Darlington, Doncaster, Leeds, Wakefield and London King’s Cross.
- Upgrades are available across the LNER network at a starting price from as little as £5.
- The upgrades are also eligible for Delay Repay compensation should the service you are travelling on be delayed by 30 minutes or more.
- First Class complimentary service varies according to date, time of day and the journey being made.