It’s official: on average, we’re £68.31 cheaper to get to London
Train vs plane?
We’ve compared the cost of travelling with LNER between Newcastle and central London to the cost of flying. And guess what? Customers travelling with us ended up saving more than £68 on average.
Next time you're planning a trip to the toon go by train for the cheaper hassle-free way to travel.
The proof is in the pudding (well, data...)
- Our claims aren't just pie in the sky. They're based on a report produced by Iris Concise in January 2019.
- Travellers could save £68.30 by travelling with LNER compared to flying directly between London and Newcastle, booking between 1 and 84 days in advance.
- Flights and trains were matched based on a two-hour window either side of the arrival/departure time (AM/PM) of the train.
- Prices for flights include cost of travel to/from central London to the airport, without baggage costs.
- Only British Airways and FlyBe sell direct flights between London and Newcastle, as such all comparisons are against these two airlines.
- The QL2 database, a clever price scraping tool, was used to provide costs across both train and air travel for this route during periods between November and March 2019.
- Cost-saving validated by a third party based on an existing model verified by governing bodies.