Save up to 48%* with a Family Return
Grab the family and get away for less with an LNER Family Return ticket.
A staycation for the whole family just got a LOT cheaper.
How can you save with an LNER Family Return?
Travelling with children has never been easier (or cheaper).
LNER Family Returns make travelling as a family easy and seamless. No gridlocked motorways, no delays at the check-in desk, just simple, no-fuss travel.
You only need one ticket to travel with LNER this summer and you're only a few clicks away. Not only is it easy to travel with an LNER Family Return, but it's cheaper, too. A ticket for a family of six could cost as little as £49!
*based on our most popular full price tickets
Find out how you can save with an LNER Family Return.
This content/functionality requires Functional cookies to work, your current settings do not allow this. Please adjust your to enable this functionality.
How to book a Family Return ticket
Booking a Family Return ticket is exactly the same as booking any other type of ticket. Choose where you'd like to travel from and to, what date you'd like to travel and how many adults and children are travelling.
Family Return tickets are only available for journeys to or from London King's Cross and Darlington, Durham, Doncaster, Edinburgh, Harrogate, Leeds, Lincoln, Peterborough, Wakefield and York. Use the drop down at the top of the page to check prices.
Choose from the available travel times in our journey planner and don't forget to reserve your seats for a more comfortable journey!
Need a little inspiration?
Not sure where you want to go? Here are some family friendly suggestions for you.
Can I change my travel plans?
Do I need to book in advance?
Can I break my journey with a Family ticket?
Can I reserve a seat with a family ticket?
Is it possible to book a First Class LNER Family Return ticket?
What happens if disruption affects my travel plans?
What is considered a family when purchasing a Family Return?
Can I take my pram onboard the train with me?
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions
1. LNER Family Return tickets are sold subject to availability and for travel on LNER services only.
2. LNER Family Return tickets aren't valid with any other train company. If you're not sure whether a certain train is run by LNER, check with station staff before boarding.
3. Tickets must be bought at the latest by 23:59, seven days before the outward date of travel. Return journeys can be made within one month of the outward travel date.
4. Reservations must be made for the family travelling at the time of booking, for both the outward and return journeys.
5. Tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable.
6. Customers must board and leave the train at the stations shown on their ticket. No break of journey is allowed, unless a change of train is required which is specified on the ticket.
7. LNER Family Return tickets will initially be available for travel for the following journeys:
- From Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Newcastle to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Durham to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Darlington to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From York to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Leeds to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Wakefield Westgate to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Doncaster to London Kings Cross, and vice versa; and,
- From Peterborough to London Kings Cross, and vice versa.
8. LNER Family Return tickets only apply to a family buying all tickets required for travel at the same time. For the purpose of this ticket, a family is defined as being between a minimum of one adult and one child (aged 5-15 years old inclusive) up to a maximum of two adults and four children (aged 5-15 years old inclusive). The family size must be specified at the time of purchase.
9. The National Rail Conditions of Travel state that children aged under five years old travelling with an accompanying fare-paying passenger can travel free of charge, but they are not guaranteed a seat. In order to reserve a seat, we recommend that children aged under five are included as part of the overall number of people travelling as part of the LNER Family Return ticket. Children aged under five who are travelling free of charge and do not travel as part of this ticket may not be able to have their own seat on busy trains. Including a child aged under five as part of the group travelling under the LNER Family Return ticket, to reserve a seat, is entirely at the discretion of the person purchasing the tickets. For more details on making arrangements for children travelling on trains, please see here.
10. LNER Family Return tickets are available only in Standard.
11. LNER Family Return tickets are not valid in alongside any upgrade offers, such as Weekend 1st or SeatFrog, and can't be upgraded to First Class.
12. Seat reservations are compulsory and free of charge for the both the outward and return journeys. Customers must travel on the trains shown on their tickets and sit in the seats reserved.
13. The full group must travel together for the entire journey, on both the outward and return journey, on the trains specified on their tickets and in the seats stated. Customers travelling on different trains to the ones reserved, or travelling as part of a different group size, will have to purchase new undiscounted tickets at the full Standard Anytime fare onboard, as if no ticket is held.
14. LNER Family Return tickets are available to buy online, at stations and through third parties such as travel agents. These tickets can't be sold onboard or through station self-service ticket machines.
15. No further Railcard or Group discounts apply.
16. All travel is subject to The National Conditions of Travel, copies of which may be obtained from station ticket offices or on the National Rail website, here.
17. LNER reserves the right to alter the terms and conditions or cancel this product without prior notice.