It’s official: on average, we’re £34.10 cheaper to get to London
Train vs plane?
We've compared the cost of travelling on LNER trains from Edinburgh to the heart of London (and vice versa) to the cost of flying. And guess what? Customers travelling with us ended up saving more than £34 on average.
Next time you're planning a trip to the capital, book your train tickets today for the cheaper hassle-free way to travel. Book your journey today for miles more savings.
The proof is in the pudding (well, data...)
- Our claims aren't just pie in the sky. They're based on a report produced by Iris Concise in January 2019.
- £34.10 cost saving based on LNER journeys on the east coast between London and Edinburgh compared to equivalent direct flights offered by the four airline operators who offer direct flights between Edinburgh and London.
- The four airline operators who fly direct between Edinburgh and London are British Airways, FlyBe, Ryanair and EasyJet.
- Flights and trains were matched based on a two-hour window either side of the arrival/departure time (AM/PM) of the train.
- Prices for flights include cost of the fastest mode of travel to/from central London to the airport, without baggage costs.
- The passenger saves £34.10 on average to the heart of London compared to direct flights, but not compared to individual airlines.
- The QL2 database, a clever price scraping tool, was used to provide costs across both train and air travel for this route during periods between November and March 2019.
- Cost-saving validated by a third party based on an existing model verified by governing bodies.
If you're book onto a Ryanair flight and affected by the cancellations you can get a 50% discount on Advance tickets for a limited time period. Find out how to claim the discount here.