It’s official: on average, we’re £35 cheaper to get to London
Train vs plane?
We've compared the cost of travelling on LNER trains from Edinburgh to the heart of London (and vice versa) to the cost of flying. And guess what? Customers travelling with us ended up saving more than £35 on average.
Next time you're planning a trip to the capital, book your train tickets with LNER for the cheaper, hassle-free way to travel. Book your journey today for miles more savings.
The proof is in the pudding (well, data...)
- Our claims aren't just pie in the sky. They're based on a report produced by Iris Concise in January 2020.
- £35cost saving based on LNER journeys on the east coast between London and Edinburgh compared to equivalent direct flights offered by the three airline operators who offer direct flights between Edinburgh and London.
- The three airline operators who fly direct between Edinburgh and London are British Airways, FlyBe and EasyJet.
- Flights and trains were matched based on a two-hour window either side of the arrival/departure time (AM/PM) of the train. Fares selected for comparison were the cheapest available fares.
- Prices for flights exclude baggage costs.
- The passenger saves £35 on average to the heart of London compared to direct flights, but not compared to individual airlines.
- The QL2 database, a clever price scraping tool, was used to provide costs across both train and air travel for this route during periods between October and March 2020.
- Cost-saving validated by a third party based on an existing model verified by governing bodies.