Can I take my bike with me onboard the train?
Travelling with LNER?
Yes, we love to be green so you can carry your bike free of charge on LNER trains. You can make a reservation online when you book your ticket. If you booked elsewhere or already have your ticket, you can now make a reservation on our seat and bike reservation tool.
Please note that spaces are limited and subject to availability.
Travelling with another train operator?
If you're travelling with another train operator on your journey you will need to check their policy. You can do this by visiting the National Rail website.
Is Alcohol allowed onboard?
You can buy alcohol from our Let's Eat Cafe Bar whilst onboard our trains and if you're in First Class, you can enjoy complimentary drinks.
You can also bring your own alcohol onboard.
In First Class complimentary alcohol is served from 11:30am (when available).
There are some trains where alchohol can't be consumed or purchased: On Friday's the 09.52 Aberdeen to London King's Cross train, between Aberdeen and Newcastle (and all calling points in between).
Upgrade to First Class onboard
You can upgrade your Standard ticket to First Class on weekends, Bank Holidays and on some Super Off-Peak trains.
To upgrade just speak to the train manager to check there's space onboard and pay the upgrade there on card.
|Weekend/Bank Holiday||Super Off-Peak weekday|
Weekday Super Off-Peak trains are:
- Northbound: Trains that depart London or Stevenage between 09:06 and 14:59 and after 18:59 Monday to Thursday and after 18:15 on a Friday.
- Southbound: Trains arriving into London or Stevenage after 11:17 Monday to Friday.
What food and drink do you offer on your trains?
Lets Eat (now at your seat!) in Standard
We offer a locally sourced menu from along our route from our Let's Eat Cafe Bar. You can order your food and drink straight to your seat. Simply scan the QR code on the seat or window near you, when you're onboard.
Alternatively, you can still go up and purchase food and drink from the Let's Eat Cafe Bar.
First Class dining
In First Class, we offer three fresh and tasty menus depending on the train you're travelling on. You can view the menus here.
Are there any promotions for LNER?
Throughout the year, LNER runs promotions and offers to people signed up to receive our emails. You can sign up by creating an account and ticking yes to hear from us!
You can also our loyalty scheme LNER Perks, which gives you £5 credit just for joining and 2% back on every LNER journey you book. Plus, you’ll also get access to member only discounts from LNER and partners!
For all current promotions including railcards and student discounts, visit our offers and competitions page.
I no longer wish to travel. How do I apply for a refund?
If your ticket was for travel on a strike day
Visit our Refunds and ticket changes page to find out about our refund policy specifically for travel during the strikes.
If your ticket is for travel at other times
If you decide not to travel, some tickets allow you to claim a refund.
- Advance tickets are not refundable. But they are changeable before the time of travel. You can do this in your account and move your ticket to a new date or time.
- If your train is cancelled and you decide not to travel on an alternative train you are entitled to a full refund back to your original payment method. More refund information.
- Anytime and Off-Peak tickets are refundable. You can follow the steps on our refunds page to apply for a refund. Refunds for Anytime and Off-Peak tickets can be applied for up to 28 days from the expiry of the ticket.
- Season ticket refunds. A refund may be claimed on monthly or annual season tickets from your point of purchase. The refund can be claimed provided that there are at least 7 days validity remaining. A refund is calculated from the date the Season Ticket is returned.
My train was cancelled and I decided not to travel. Can I get a refund?
Yes, if your train was cancelled and you decided not to travel, you can apply for a refund.
At what age do children have to pay to travel?
Up to two children, aged 4 years old and under, can travel free of charge with a fare-paying adult. Please bear in mind that as they do not have a ticket or a seat reservation, so on busy trains they will be expected to sit on your lap. You can purchase a childs ticket or Family Return to reserve a seat.
If you're travelling with more than two children under 5 and one adult, you will need to purchase a childs ticket for the additional children,
If your children are aged between 5 and 15 we offer discounted fares which are available on our website.
If you're travelling as two adults and between two and four children, the Family Return ticket might also be a great saving for you and it offers a flexible return ticket, find out more here.
How do I make a booking for a wheelchair user?
If you need a wheelchair space or priority seat, we recommend booking your seat by contacting our Assisted travel team.
All LNER train services offer reservations, including wheelchair space reservations. However, where a train operator doesn’t offer reservations, staff will find an available wheelchair space for you on the day where one is available.