It’s official: on average, we’re £30 cheaper to get to London
Train vs plane? There’s literally no contest, and we have the numbers to prove it.
We've compared the cost of travelling on LNER trains from Edinburgh to the heart of London (and vice versa) to the cost of flying. And guess what? Travelling with us to central London was cheaper a whopping 85% of the time, with customers on average saving more than £30.
So next time you're planning a trip to the capital, don’t wing it.
Book your journey today for miles more savings.
The proof is in the pudding (well, data...)
- Our claims aren't just pie in the sky. They're based on a report produced by Iris Concise in December 2017.
- £30 cost saving based on LNER journeys on the east coast between London and Edinburgh compared to equivalent direct flights offered by the four airline operators who offer direct flights between Edinburgh and London
- The four airline operators who fly direct between Edinburgh and London are British Airways, FlyBe, Ryanair and EasyJet.
- Flights and trains were matched based on a two-hour window either side of the arrival/departure time (AM/PM) of the train.
- Prices for flights include cost of travel to/from central London to the airport, without baggage costs.
- The passenger saves £30 on average to the heart of London compared to direct flights, but not compared to individual airlines.
- The QL2 database, a clever price scraping tool, was used to analyse fares for the future looking 3 months on 6 separate dates for both train and air travel.
- Cost-saving validated by a third party based on an existing model verified by governing bodies.