MORE SERVICES, MORE SEATS
We're introducing thousands more seats between West Yorkshire and London on Sundays from December 2023.
Sundays are now one of the most popular days to travel on LNER’s network.
To support this increase in demand, LNER is introducing three additional Sunday services into its timetable – two (one each way) between Leeds and London King’s Cross and one between Doncaster and London. We’re also adding more seats on some of our trains with eight existing Sunday services becoming longer trains. The current five carriage services will be replaced with either nine or ten carriage Azuma trains for destinations including Leeds, Harrogate and Lincoln.
This equates to more than 3000 additional seats on a Sunday and will help reduce overcrowding and increase connectivity for more people between Yorkshire and London.
The increase in Sunday services will also release pressure on our Anglo-Scottish route by giving customers travelling to/from Doncaster, and further south, additional services to travel on at the weekend. This allows us to offer a better service for customers on all our routes every Sunday.
The additional capacity will come into effect in two phases.
In December 2023, 3,000 seats will be introduced between Yorkshire and London. While a further 1,500 seats will be made possible by increasing the capacity of two existing West Yorkshire services and adding two more services from June 2024.
The changes to our timetable in December are already available to book.
Additional Sunday services
3 additional services (1 Northbound and 2 Southbound) will add approximately 1500 seats between London and West Yorkshire stations every Sunday.
- The 14.33 London King’s Cross to Leeds service (calling at Peterborough, Newark Northgate, Doncaster, Wakefield)
- The 11.40 Leeds to London King’s Cross service (calling at Wakefield, Doncaster, Peterborough)
- The 08.30 Doncaster to London King’s Cross service (calling at Retford, Newark Northgate, Grantham, Peterborough)
Please note the Sunday 08.05 service from Leeds to London King’s Cross will no longer call at Retford, Newark Northgate and Grantham resulting in a shorter journey time. The service will arrive at London King's Cross at 10.18 – 19 minutes earlier than before.
Sunday services with increased capacity
4 existing services will become 10-car Azumas (previously 5-car Azumas) and add approximately 900 seats between London and West Yorkshire stations every Sunday.
- The 09.05 London King’s Cross service to Harrogate*
- The 17.05 London King’s Cross service to Harrogate*
- The 19.03 London King’s Cross to Leeds
- The 13.15 Harrogate to London King’s Cross service
4 existing services will become 9-car Azumas (previously 5-car Azumas) adding approximately 1,150 more seats between London and West Yorkshire stations every Sunday.
- The 11.03 London King’s Cross to Harrogate service
- The 19.06 London King’s Cross to Lincoln service
- The 08.05 Leeds to London King’s Cross service
- The 15.36 Harrogate to London King’s Cross service
* service will no longer call at Horsforth
Changes to Horsforth
To provide additional Sunday seating capacity, we’re lengthening some of our King’s Cross to Harrogate services on Sundays from 5-car to 10-car Azuma trains. As a result, we need to remove 2 northbound station calls at Horsforth on Sundays only.
This timetable amendment will allow LNER to provide 300 more seats on each of the two services affected, and forms part of a wider plan for LNER to provide thousands of additional seats, including three new train services, on Sundays.
The impacted services are as follows:
- The 09.05 London King’s Cross service to Harrogate
- The 17.05 London King’s Cross service to Harrogate
Customers for Horsforth will still be able to purchase LNER & connections Advance purchase fares on these services.