LNER Family Return tickets
Grab the family and get away for less with an LNER Family Return ticket
Think the car is the cheapest option for a family day out or getaway? Think again. With the LNER Family Return ticket, up to two adults and four children can travel for one great fixed price.
Leave the car at home and hop onboard an LNER train for a hassle-free trip. With fast journey times, no unscheduled loo stops (we have them onboard) and fantastic views from the window that the whole family can enjoy. Plus, there's no need to pack a lunch with our great selection of food and drink from the Let's Eat Cafe Bar.
Reasons to choose a Family Return ticket
1) Easily book one ticket for the whole family
When you buy book a Family Return, your ticket covers up to two adults and up to four children. So if they want to bring a friend or you're taking all the grandkids for a day out, you're all covered.
2) One great price, guaranteed
Your Family Return offers an all-in-one return journey at a fixed price, without needing to buy separate tickets. A Family Returns start at just £49.
3) Free Wi-Fi
Whilst the kids are looking out of the windows at the views, you can use our free onboard Wi-Fi to catch up on the news of the day, read the latest blogs or look up things to do at your destination.
4) Visiting London? You'll get 2FOR1 tickets
If you're taking the family on a day out to London, you can save on attractions in London with the exclusive 2FOR1 deals available with your train ticket.
5) Choose a return journey up to a month later
Your Family Return ticket doesn't just have to be for days out. Whether you're going for a weekend in London or a week exploring the Scottish highlands, you can choose a return journey up to one month after your outward journey.
You'll have to book your return journey at the same time as your outward journey.
6) Want to travel during peak times? No worries!
Your Family Return ticket allows for travel on peak and off-peak LNER services (subject to availability). So you don't have to wait for an off-peak service to start your fun.
Where to travel with a Family Return
Family Return tickets are a great way for families to travel between some of the most popular East Coast destinations.
You can purchase a LNER Family Return ticket between the following destinations:
- Peterborough to/from London £49
- Doncaster to/from London £89
- Leeds to London £99
- Wakefield to/from London £99
- York to/from London £99
- Newcastle to/from London £139
- Durham to/from London £139
- Darlington to/from London £119
- Edinburgh to/from London £169
The return date can be within a month of your outward journey – perfect if you’re spending the week at the seaside or walking in the Scottish Highlands – but you will need to book both trips at the same time.
How to book a Family Return ticket
Booking a Family Return ticket is exactly the same as booking any other type of ticket. Choose where you'd like to travel from and to, what date you'd like to travel and how many adults and children are travelling.
The choose from the available travel times in our journey planner and don't forget to reserve your seats!
Can I change my travel plans?
Do I need to book in advance?
Can I break my journey?
Can I reserve a seat?
Is it possible to book a First Class LNER Family Return ticket?
What happens if disruption affects my travel plans?
What is considered a family when purchasing a Family Return?
Terms & conditions
1. LNER Family Return tickets are sold subject to availability and for travel on LNER services only.
2. LNER Family Return tickets aren't valid with any other train company. If you're not sure whether a certain train is run by LNER, check with station staff before boarding.
3. Tickets must be bought at the latest by 23:59, seven days before the outward date of travel. Return journeys can be made within one month of the outward travel date.
4. Reservations must be made for the family travelling at the time of booking, for both the outward and return journeys.
5. Tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable.
6. Customers must board and leave the train at the stations shown on their ticket. No break of journey is allowed, unless a change of train is required which is specified on the ticket.
7. LNER Family Return tickets will initially be available for travel for the following journeys:
- From Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Newcastle to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Durham to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Darlington to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From York to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Leeds to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Wakefield Westgate to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Doncaster to London Kings Cross, and vice versa; and,
- From Peterborough to London Kings Cross, and vice versa.
8. LNER Family Return tickets only apply to a family buying all tickets required for travel at the same time. For the purpose of this ticket, a family is defined as being between a minimum of one adult and one child (aged 5-15 years old inclusive) up to a maximum of two adults and four children (aged 5-15 years old inclusive). The family size must be specified at the time of purchase.
9. The National Rail Conditions of Travel state that children aged under five years old travelling with an accompanying fare-paying passenger can travel free of charge, but they are not guaranteed a seat. In order to reserve a seat, we recommend that children aged under five are included as part of the overall number of people travelling as part of the LNER Family Return ticket. Children aged under five who are travelling free of charge and do not travel as part of this ticket may not be able to have their own seat on busy trains. Including a child aged under five as part of the group travelling under the LNER Family Return ticket, to reserve a seat, is entirely at the discretion of the person purchasing the tickets. For more details on making arrangements for children travelling on trains, please see here.
10. LNER Family Return tickets are available only in Standard.
11. LNER Family Return tickets are not valid in alongside any upgrade offers, such as Weekend 1st or SeatFrog, and can't be upgraded to First Class.
12. Seat reservations are compulsory and free of charge for the both the outward and return journeys. Customers must travel on the trains shown on their tickets and sit in the seats reserved.
13. The full group must travel together for the entire journey, on both the outward and return journey, on the trains specified on their tickets and in the seats stated. Customers travelling on different trains to the ones reserved, or travelling as part of a different group size, will have to purchase new undiscounted tickets at the full Standard Anytime fare onboard, as if no ticket is held.
14. LNER Family Return tickets are available to buy online, at stations and through third parties such as travel agents. These tickets can't be sold onboard or through station self-service ticket machines.
15. No further Railcard or Group discounts apply.
16. All travel is subject to The National Conditions of Travel, copies of which may be obtained from station ticket offices or on the National Rail website, here.
17. LNER reserves the right to alter the terms and conditions or cancel this product without prior notice.