LNER Family Return tickets
Grab the family and get away for less
Think the car is the cheapest option for a family day out or getaway? Think again. With the LNER Family Return ticket, up to two adults and four children can travel for one great fixed price.
Leave the car at home and hop onboard an LNER train for a hassle-free trip. We offer faster journey times, no unscheduled loo stops (we have them onboard) and fantastic views from the window that the whole family can enjoy. And there's no need to pack a lunch with our great selection of food and drink from the Foodbar. With savings of up to £315* for families, why wouldn’t you get the train?
What are the advantages?
- Two adults and up to four children can travel on one LNER Family Return ticket
- It’s an all-in-one return journey at a fixed price, without needing to buy separate tickets
- Free Wi-Fi for everyone with LNER, and no booking fees
- Save on attractions in London with the exclusive 2FOR1 deals available with your train ticket
When can you use an LNER Family Return ticket?
The LNER Family Return ticket is valid on both Peak and Off-Peak trains (subject to availability) so you don’t need to wait for Off-Peak services to start the fun.
You can purchase a LNER Family Return ticket between the following destinations:
- Peterborough<>London, from £49
- Doncaster<>London, £89
- Leeds <>London, £99
- Wakefield<>London, £99
- York<>London, £99
- Newcastle <>London, from £129
- Durham<>London, from £129
- Darlington<>London, £119
- Edinburgh<>London, from £159
The return date can be within a month of your outward journey – perfect if you’re spending the week at the seaside or walking in the Scottish Highlands – but you will need to book both trips at the same time.
*Based on a weighted average of all Advance journeys sold on routes offering the LNER Family Return ticket.
Are LNER Family Return tickets refundable?
No, LNER Family Return tickets are non-refundable.
Can I change my travel plans?
No, LNER Family Return tickets are non-changeable. You can only travel on the specific date, time and trains you select when you booked. So if you miss your train, you'll need to buy new tickets.
Do I need to book in advance?
Yes, you need to book by 23.59 at least seven days before you travel on your outward journey.
Can I break my journey?
No, you have to travel on the trains you chose when you booked.
Can I reserve a seat?
Yes, you’ll need to reserve a seat for all those travelling when you book your LNER Family Return ticket.
Is it possible to book a First Class LNER Family Return ticket?
No, LNER Family Return tickets are only valid in Standard.
What happens if disruption affects my travel plans?
If you decide not to travel due to disruption, you can claim a refund on any unused tickets without needing to pay an administration fee.
What’s considered a family?
A minimum of one adult and one child up to a maximum of two adults and four children. You don’t need to be related so the kids could bring a friend too. Once booked, the group specified cannot be changed so the group listed must travel for the full return journey. If a different group travels, you’ll need to purchase new tickets.
Terms & conditions
1. LNER Family Return tickets are sold subject to availability and for travel on LNER services only.
2. LNER Family Return tickets aren't valid with any other train company. If you're not sure whether a certain train is run by LNER, check with station staff before boarding.
3. Tickets must be bought at the latest by 23:59, seven days before the outward date of travel. Return journeys can be made within one month of the outward travel date.
4. Reservations must be made for the family travelling at the time of booking, for both the outward and return journeys.
5. Tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable.
6. Customers must board and leave the train at the stations shown on their ticket. No break of journey is allowed, unless a change of train is required which is specified on the ticket.
7. LNER Family Return tickets will initially be available for travel for the following journeys:
- From Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Newcastle to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Durham to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Darlington to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From York to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Leeds to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Wakefield Westgate to London Kings Cross, and vice versa;
- From Doncaster to London Kings Cross, and vice versa; and,
- From Peterborough to London Kings Cross, and vice versa.
8. LNER Family Return tickets only apply to a family buying all tickets required for travel at the same time. For the purpose of this ticket, a family is defined as being between a minimum of one adult and one child (aged 5-15 years old inclusive) up to a maximum of two adults and four children (aged 5-15 years old inclusive). The family size must be specified at the time of purchase.
9. The National Rail Conditions of Travel state that children aged under five years old travelling with an accompanying fare-paying passenger can travel free of charge, but they are not guaranteed a seat. In order to reserve a seat, we recommend that children aged under five are included as part of the overall number of people travelling as part of the LNER Family Return ticket. Children aged under five who are travelling free of charge and do not travel as part of this ticket may not be able to have their own seat on busy trains. Including a child aged under five as part of the group travelling under the LNER Family Return ticket, to reserve a seat, is entirely at the discretion of the person purchasing the tickets. For more details on making arrangements for children travelling on trains, please see here.
10. LNER Family Return tickets are available only in Standard.
11. LNER Family Return tickets are not valid in alongside any upgrade offers, such as Weekend 1st or SeatFrog, and can't be upgraded to First Class.
12. Seat reservations are compulsory and free of charge for the both the outward and return journeys. Customers must travel on the trains shown on their tickets and sit in the seats reserved.
13. The full group must travel together for the entire journey, on both the outward and return journey, on the trains specified on their tickets and in the seats stated. Customers travelling on different trains to the ones reserved, or travelling as part of a different group size, will have to purchase new undiscounted tickets at the full Standard Anytime fare onboard, as if no ticket is held.
14. LNER Family Return tickets are available to buy online, at stations and through third parties such as travel agents. These tickets can't be sold onboard or through station self-service ticket machines.
15. No further Railcard or Group discounts apply.
16. All travel is subject to The National Conditions of Travel, copies of which may be obtained from station ticket offices or on the National Rail website, here.
17. LNER reserves the right to alter the terms and conditions or cancel this product without prior notice.