Season tickets give you unlimited travel between two stations: any time, any day, any train, as many times as you like. They can last between a week and a year. One ticket to rule them all.
Throughout 2020 we're supporting Network Rail make improvements to the tracks we use. This will unlock faster more frequent journey's for you. More information on the dates with planned engineering works.
What are the advantages?
Season tickets offer a great way to save money if you travel the same journey on a regular basis. They can be bought for a week, a month or a year.
Earn credit from your Season ticket with LNER Perks
Our brand new loyalty scheme, LNER Perks, gives you 2% credit back with your Season ticket when you travel between qualifying starting and destination stations.
Sign up to LNER Perks and start building credit that can be used on other LNER journeys, or you can choose to donate it to one of our charity partners. Plus, if you sign up now, you'll get £5 free to spend straight away when you book on our App.
Please ensure you have a valid photocard with you before buying a season ticket. If you don't already have a valid photocard, you'll need to get one from a station travel centre for free. Just bring a recent passport size photo along with you.
You'll need to carry your photocard with you whenever you travel using your Season ticket.
Say hello to the smarter way to travel
The smarter way to use Season tickets is here.
Say goodbye to paper tickets and start using Smartcards, the smarter way to travel. Smartcards are:
- Free when you buy a weekly, monthly or annual Season ticket or Travelcard
- More durable than paper tickets
- Better for the environment because they can be reused for years
- Faster to get through ticket gates
Get your Smartcard now when you renew your Season ticket at an LNER Travel Centre or take your current paper Season ticket or Travel card and ask for a Smartcard. You'll soon be able to get a Smartcard when you buy your season ticket online.
We know that circumstances change. That's why you can get a partial refund on your ticket, providing there's enough time left.
If you bought your Season Ticket directly from us, we can generally give you a refund under the following circumstances:
- Annual Season ticket: provided there are at least seven weeks of validity remaining. Annual Season tickets typically have no refund value after 10 months and 12 days, although they are still valid for travel until the expiry date.
- One to 10-month Season ticket: For Season tickets between one and 10 months, provided there are seven days (or more) validity remaining, you are generally able to get a partial refund.
- Weekly Season tickets: For weekly Season tickets, provided there are three days (or more) validity remaining you are generally able to get a partial refund.
If you're unsure about whether you can claim a refund, you can use the National Rail Season ticket refund calculator, which can be found on the National Rail website.
If you were using your season ticket and your train was delayed, you may be able to claim a portion of your Season ticket back. Find the full conditions on our Delay Repay page. You can also use our Season ticket Delay Repay calculator to estimate what you might be able to claim back.
Please note, these are just estimates. The actual amount may differ.
Season Ticket Delay Repay Calculator
Season ticket FAQs
How do I request a refund for my Season Ticket?
How do I calculate my Season Ticket refund?
I'm a season ticket holder, when can I claim compensation for delays to LNER trains?
Will my Season Ticket work with the ticket gates?
My ticket is damaged and won’t go through the ticket gate?
Can I buy a weekly rail ticket?
Can I pay for my annual Season Ticket in instalments?
Can I buy a car park season ticket?
Can I get a discount with a Railcard?
Are there discounts for children?
Can I upgrade to First Class?
Terms and conditions
Season ticket terms and conditions
Please read our terms and conditions for Season Tickets before booking.
When you purchase a Season Ticket for the first time, you will need to provide a passport-sized photograph. This will enable us to issue you with your photocard, which must accompany your Season Ticket. Your photocard can then be used with any further Season Ticket that you purchase. Please remember, children may require proof of age. If a photocard is lost or the true likeness of the holder changes, a new photocard is required before it can be used with a Season Ticket. We will issue a replacement Season Ticket with the new photocard serial number in these circumstances. An administration charge may be made.
A Season Ticket is valid for travel on any train, at any time (excluding Christmas Day and Boxing Day) between the two stations or zones specified, for as many journeys as you want for the period shown and by the route or train company shown on your ticket. Travel beyond the specified stations/zones or after the expiry date or by any route that is not valid, will require the purchase of a separate ticket for the additional journey. A Season Ticket is only valid when produced together with the photocard to which it relates.
A refund may be made on a monthly (or longer duration) tickets from the issuing office provided that there are at least 7 days' validity remaining. A refund is calculated from the date the Season Ticket is returned. If you claim a refund on a ticket purchased because you could not produce your Season Ticket and/or photocard at the time of travel, on the first occasion you may receive a full refund. On the second occasion, you may receive a refund and pay an administration fee of £10. On the third and all subsequent occasions within the 12-month period starting from the first occasion that the Season Ticket could not be produced, no refund will be given on tickets purchased.
These are available to holders of monthly or annual Season Tickets. If lost, you must inform the Travel Centre from which you bought the Season Ticket as soon as possible and agree to return the lost ticket if found. An administration charge* will be made for replacing the lost ticket. A second replacement may be allowed if the original Season Ticket is returned to us within one month of notification of the loss, or if the first or second request for a duplicate arose as a result of theft, robbery, fire or other exceptional circumstances, the facts of which have been reported to the police, the fire service or another appropriate body. * The administration charge for a duplicate season ticket is £20.
5. New Tickets or Renewals
i) Following a break of continuity
- 7-Day Season Tickets - The ticket may be issued on the start date; if the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from 0600 hours on the previous Sunday.
- Monthly and Annual Season Tickets - If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (also Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday. If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.
ii) Where the ticket is surrendered with no break of continuity
- 7-Day Season Tickets - If the start date is a Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday) the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday. If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.
- Monthly and Annual Seasons Tickets - The ticket may be issued any time up to seven days in advance.
6. Season Ticket Holders Seat Reservation Terms & Conditions
- One application form per Season Ticket holder. Multiple bookings will not be processed.
- All fields must be completed in order for the reservations to be processed.
- We will do our best to reserve the seat of your choice or one closest to your request.
- Reservations can be made up to 12 weeks in advance.
- Reservations are available only from LNER Travel Centres and are subject to availability.
- Reservations are not valid unless they are accompanied with the correct Season Ticket and a copy of the seat reservation form.
- Reservation fees may apply.
- A maximum of one journey per direction per day is permitted.
- Please allow up to 7 days for reservations to be processed. Reservations can be made up to 7 days beyond the expiry of your Season Ticket.
- LNER has the right to withdraw or modify this facility. Where possible, reasonable prior notice will be given.
- Reservations are subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel.