Cooking for CALM recipe of the week
Ready... Steady... Cook!
We're raising money for CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) through our new cookbook, Cooking for CALM.
Cooking can be therapeutic and good for our mental wellbeing. Over 2020, our colleagues who were stood down from their duties during the coronavirus pandemic, came together to create a collection of culinary delights.
We'll be sharing a sneak peek of the many recipes you can find in the cookbook here for you to try at home.
Blueberry and cranberry breakfast pancakes
“When I was young my nana and grandad would make these as a special treat. Delicious, easy to do and a lot of fun can be had choosing your favourite fillings. Our LNER Cooking for CALM cookbook features several pancake recipes, including this one and our monster green pancake with smoked salmon! How do you like your pancakes?”
Jacqueline Harbert, LNER Chef (Leeds)
5 minutes prep, 15-20 minutes cooking
- 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 150g fresh blueberries, washed
- 75g dried cranberries, chopped
- Knob butter, for cooking pancakes
Filling and Topping
- Thick yoghurt
- Muesli and seeds
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Put all the ingredients for the pancakes into a jug or blender except for the butter and blueberries, whisking until there are no lumps.
- Drop in the blueberries.
- Heat a flat pan or frying pan and wipe with butter lightly.
- Drop 3 individual pancakes into pan and cook for a minute on both sides.
- Continue wiping pan with butter and cooking the rest of the batter.
- Serve hot or cold with your choice of fruit, yoghurt or muesli.
- You can substitute milk and yoghurt for a dairy-free alternative.
- Can be frozen but much better eaten fresh.