Cooking for CALM recipe of the week
Ready... Steady... Cook!
We're raising money for CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) through our new cookbook, Cooking for CALM.
Cooking can be therapeutic and good for our mental wellbeing. Over 2020, our colleagues who were stood down from their duties during the coronavirus pandemic, came together to create a collection of culinary delights.
We'll be sharing a sneak peek of the many recipes you can find in the cookbook here for you to try at home.
Banana and caramel muffins
“These muffins take one of your five-a-day and turn it into a treat for those with a sweet tooth! They’re perfect for a picnic or a party.”
Carolyn Atwell, Senior Host (Newcastle)
Serves 12 - 18
15 minutes prep, 1 hour 5 minutes cooking
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g demerara sugar
- 100ml double cream
- 50g fudge pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- Cream sugar and butter until white and fluffy.
- Sieve flour and mix with baking powder adding one egg at a time.
- Mix all together to form a light batter. Mash the bananas into small soft pieces, fold into the cake mix.
- To make caramel: place brown sugar and butter into medium hot pan cook until forms a hot caramel golden brown.
- Carefully remove from the heat, add the cream and whisk in well.
- Spoon 2/3 of mixture into muffin cases with a good measure of the cooled caramel spooned on top.
- Add the mixture on top of each one.
- Cook in oven at 180°C for 25 minutes until golden.
- Once cooled split the tops into butterflies and some more caramel and fudge pieces to finish.